Inicio Foros ¿Cómo es la vida de un inmigrante en Canadá? Tips acreditacion ingenieros en Alberta

  • Este debate tiene 1 respuesta, 1 mensaje y ha sido actualizado por última vez el hace 16 años, 10 meses por Invitado MQI.
Viendo 2 entradas - de la 1 a la 2 (de un total de 2)
  • Autor
  • #203321
    Invitado MQI

    Mark Tokarik, Director of Registration, APEGGA

    Date: Thursday, September 9, 2004
    Time: 2:00 pm to 4:30 pm

    Mr. Mark Tokarik presented on the requirements for licensure of foreign trained professional engineers with APEGGA (The Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists, and Geophysicists of Alberta). Notes from his presentation can be found at


    The following are questions posed by clients and Mr. Tokarik’s responses. Please note, the information provided is paraphrased and not direct quotes.

    1. I worked in the Oil and Gas Industry, and was a Construction Project Manager, can this be considered part of my Canadian work experience?

    Possibly, it depends on the nature of the job duty. If the work included engineering content than probably yes. If it didn’t include any engineering work or skills, and only such things as management of staff, probably no.

    2. I have over three years’ work experience in an North American company that was based in Europe, would it count as Canadian work experience?

    It really depends. The Canadian engineering work experience requirement exists to ensure that all individuals have sufficient exposure to Canadian codes, standards, climate conditions, ethics, culture, business practices and workplace environment. Even though the company is North American, you worked in Europe, where the culture and workplace regulations may be different than Canada’s. Canadian employers emphasize professional Canadian work experience because they would like employees who are familiar with Canadian culture, both in the workplace and socially. If you have only ever designed buildings in a country that doesn’t snow, you may not know about the effects of cold weather on heating, ventilation, building materials, and the process of constructing during snow and cold weather. Local building codes, standards, zoning issues- wind load- and snow load factors, soil composition may be factors to become familiar with.

    3. Would enrolling in a Canadian Master’s program, and engaging in graduate studies and work count as Canadian experience?

    No. The studies and work that you do for your Masters or PhD program will not be counted as Canadian work experience. The one year work experience must be professional industry, hands on experience. However, work during a post-doctoral fellowship term can count as long as it is industry experience.

    4. Does working for an American company that was based in the Middle East count as Canadian work experience?

    It really depends on several factors, such as the workplace environment, the industry, and the type of work. It is best to assume no, but you may inquire with APEGGA.

    5. If an international company selects an individual to work for their company, shouldn’t you assume that person would succeed anywhere? I was expecting it to be the same.

    Please see question 2.

    6. How about the situation when Bantrel brought engineers from overseas to Fort McMurray when there was a shortage of expertise and skills? They arrived and started to work right away without accreditation or licensure.

    Most likely they were working under the supervision of a licensed professional engineer. In Canada, all engineering activities such as final documents must have the professional stamp by the engineer who is responsible for the work. Someone must be responsible, his/her name and stamp of approval, are all recorded in case there is an issue/ crisis or catastrophe. The errors and mistakes are traced to the person who approves and signs off the work. In Canada engineering profession is highly regulated and supervised.

    7. Will taking SAIT (Southern Alberta Institute of Technology) courses count towards my qualifications for being licensed with APEGGA?

    No. SAIT courses are not accredited or recognized by APEGGA. A few SAIT courses may be equivalent to first year degree university classes. The confirmatory exams of APEGGA are at the material level of third and fourth year university degree courses.

    8. Is there a list that lists the schools that APEGGA has accredited?

    Yes, not just the universities, but particular programs.

    9. Would instructing at SAIT be considered Canadian work experience?

    It’s possible, APEGGA has received some applications from NAIT (Northern Alberta Institute of Technology) and SAIT of instructors who wish to have their professional engineering designation.

    10. About the required one year Canadian work experience, how do we get professional level of work without any designation?

    APEGGA is a regulatory body, not a job or employment body. APEGGA has however established a few programs to try to assist applicants. One is the resume referral service. Another is the Mentorship program. In order to accommodate employers who contact us and ask us if we know of an available engineer we have established informal resume referral service through our resume database. And a program such as the Mentorship that intends to establish support services to newcomers such as foreign trained engineers with employment and career related skills information.
    Canadian work experience must be in the engineering capacity and not as technologist or technician.

    11. At what stage do you receive a registration number?

    Once you apply, you are assigned one. As well, you can claim on your resume that you are in the process of applying for licensure with APEGGA.

    12. Where can we access the Foreign Degree List?

    The list is very extensive because it does not only list the universities that APEGGA recognizes, but specific programs. This list is not available on the internet or in print, but if you call our offices someone will send the list to you.

    13. How do you actually apply to APEGGA?

    You need to request or attain a registration package that includes information and all the forms that you will need to complete.

    * the resume that you send with your application form should be more detailed than the one that you may send to employers (five to six pages in length).
    * The Request for Academic Records is for you to fill out. You will submit the request to your university and they will directly forward your transcripts and educational information to APEGGA.

    14. Will the Board waive the exams based on work experience?

    Yes, if you have 10 years’ experience or more in high level engineering activities with increased level of responsibilities. But you still need one year of Canadian experience before you can become registered as a P.Eng..

    15. Do the academic transcripts have to be from the principal university of education?

    Yes, the transcripts need to be from the academic institution that you attended, or from the affiliated college of a university.

    16. If I completed a diploma and a degree, will I need to submit transcripts for both?

    Yes. APEGGA will assess both to see the validity of both programs combined.

    17. If I have the transcripts sent to me in a sealed envelope will APEGGA accept that as well?

    Yes. As long as the envelope is sealed with your academic transcripts inside.

    18. Why is there so much security with transcripts? It’s hard for some universities in non-technical countries to forward transcripts to someone who lives in Canada now.

    There has been a proliferation of fraudulent degrees. There have been cases of false information on resumes and forged degree and transcript papers. As a regulatory body, it’s imperative that APEGGA ensures the qualifications and background of each potential member.

    19. If a company that I worked for is obsolete, can I still ask an old colleague who has moved to a new company for a reference?

    Yes. As long as that individual is knowledgeable about your professional work experience.

    20. What if our reference send letters in a language other than English?

    APEGGA will translate the documents at our expense. We need three references; supervisors and co-workers included.

    21. For academic transcripts, did you want subjects and details about the courses?

    No, just the subjects the grades received.

    22. Can anyone give a good character reference letter?

    We would prefer a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) to provide the letter. The applicant has usually worked under a P.Eng for one year before applying for APEGGA.

    23. Is there a time limit on the TOEFL mark? Do we need to submit them within a certain time frame after we take the test?


    24. Is a photocopy of my TOEFL results good enough?

    Yes. But alternate benchmarks are not accepted. Only TOEFL marks will be evaluated.

    Note: IQAS (International Qualification Assessment Services) are not required. CCPE Assessment for professional designation conducted by immigration Canada is not recognized by APEGGA either.

    25. How long does it take to evaluate my qualifications for membership?

    It depends on the amount of time it will take to collect all the required documents for each applicant. It would take a typical University of Calgary graduate three to four months to be processed if they have all their papers and required documents. Other applicants can take six to 12 months.

    Invitado MQI

    Otra buena via es

    Es otra entidad para validar el titulo que es mas expedita ya que puedes presentar tus titulos aca en Alberta y no tienes k mandarlos a pedir a tu universidad en tu pais de origen, es bastante mas accesible.

    Tiene el mismo reconocimiento que apegga! (asoc de ing de alberta)



Viendo 2 entradas - de la 1 a la 2 (de un total de 2)
  • Debes estar registrado para responder a este debate.