Inicio Foros ¿Cómo es la vida de un inmigrante en Canadá? ¿Cómo hacer para quedarse a estudiar?

Viendo 4 entradas - de la 1 a la 4 (de un total de 4)
  • Autor
  • #244442

    Hola. Tengo 18 años y estoy viviendo en Venezuela actualmente.

    Estoy planeando salir de mi país por razones más personales que monetarias, pero claro, siendo apenas mayor de edad no tengo una forma de salir directamente a trabajar.

    No estoy atendiendo a una universidad actualmente, y me gustaría mucho ir a estudiar a un país como Canadá que, al menos en los aspectos que a mi más conciernen, es muy superior a mi país Venezuela, por mucho que lo quiera. El asunto es que no tengo idea de por donde empezar, además de no ser la mejor aplicante, hablando de desempeño académico.

    Hablo inglés hasta el punto de corregir repetidamente a hablantes nativos de Canadá y USA, tengo mucho talento en el manejo y mantenimiento de computadoras y soy una artista visual talentosa, pero claro, todo esto sin ningun tipo de experiencia profesional. Aún con todo esto, ¿Mis notas de educación secundaria serían un problema tan grande para mí? ¿Hay opciones si es así el caso?

    Escuché de una amiga nativa de British Columbia que no es un mal lugar para vivir, ¿Cómo sería entonces el proceso de entrada? Los sitios de inmigración que encontré en la web por lo general no contienen información que sea útil para alguien en mi situación.


    Hi Alessa.

    You have the great advantage of be at 18.. I’ve heard that each year, close to 80.000 students like you come fr om abroad to study in Canada.

    Well… most international students will require a Study Permit to study in Canada, however, there are some exceptions.

    For example, a Study Permit is not required in the following circumstances:

    * For a course or program with a duration of six months or less
    * For a minor child already in Canada, whose parents have legal status in Canada, other than Visitor Status
    * For the family or staff of a foreign representative to Canada.

    A Study Permit is a document issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (best known as «CIC»)that allows a foreign individual to study in Canada for a limited time, generally at a specific Canadian educational institution and in a specific program.

    Citizenship and Immigration Canada will normally issue a Study Permit if an applicant has received an acceptance letter fr om a qualified Canadian educational institution, and possesses sufficient funds to pay for tuition and living costs. In some cases, Citizenship and Immigration Canada may require applicants to undergo medical examinations and provide Police Clearance Certificates.

    A Temporary Resident Visa or «TRV» may also be required if the student is a citizen of a country from which Citizenship and Immigration Canada requires Temporary Resident Visas for entry into Canada. A TRVis not required for citizens of visa exempt countries but in the case of Venezuela it’s ncessary…

    Applicants who wish to study in Montreal or another city in Quebec will also require approval from immigration authorities of the Government of Quebec (I don’t know too much about this, so you should read read and read internet websites)…

    Citizenship and Immigration Canada generally issues Study Permits that are valid for the duration of the intended course of studies. However, international students studying in Montreal or another city in the Province of Quebec must renew their status each year.

    International Students are considered Visitors in Canada. They must satisfy a Citizenship and Immigration Canada Officer at the Port of Entry that the purpose of their entry into Canada is of a temporary nature.

    On other hand, if you’re looking for working in Canada as an International Student, let me tell you that Citizenship and Immigration Canada allows International Students to work in Canada in lim ited situations. Students are required to arrive in Canada with sufficient money to live and pay their bills while studying. However, in some cases, a student may be able to work in Canada during the course of study:

    * On campus without a Work Permit;
    * Off campus with a Work Permit;
    * In Co-op and Internship Programs, wh ere work experience is part of the curriculum, with a Work Permit.

    In addition, spouses/common-law partners of international students are eligible to work in Canada while their partners study.

    Upon graduation, international students are encouraged to obtain Canadian work experience. The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program allows international graduates to obtain a three-year open work permit so that they can stay and contribute to the Canadian wrk force.

    So, as you can see, having enough funds is the key in this matter!

    I suggest you to look for more information at: which is the officia page of Immigration Canada…

    Good Luck,

    See ya



    Thanks for the answer. That’s a very helpful post you got there.

    I’m looking for permanent residency after completing a degree in whatever area I choose, which would probably be Illustration, Systems Engineering or some sort of programming specialty. Most likely the first or the latter.

    How would one go about applying for a university? I haven’t been able to find much info about this nor which ones should I apply to, since I haven’t been able to contact my Canadian friends from the first post for quite some time. How difficult is it? does it usually require actual physical paperwork? Do I have to travel there to do it?

    As I’m planning to stay, would it be advisable for me to get in the P.G. Work Permit Program? Does it allow me to apply for permanent residency?

    And, about working while studying, what kind of jobs could working on campus include? I’m assuming it’s things like library work and event catering. I’ll probably look for work off-campus, but it is good information to know.


    Hola Alessa,

    The first thing you have to do is research the universities you want to apply to. This could be in terms of quality, prestige, cost, friendliness, etc. depending on your situation. Another option to consider are community colleges or technical schools.

    Applications for these colleges are usually accepted all year long. Deadlines for universities, on the other hand, will vary, and you might very well have to wait for another year.

    Application requirements will also vary depending the college/university. Some will require SAT/ACT and TOEFL/IETLS.

    All the above information can be found on the universities’ websites. For instance, do a google search on «university vancouver» and you will find The University of British Columbia. On their website, look for admission requirements, etc….

    Not to scare you off, but it will require a lot of work and patience on your part. This is something a high school counselor can help you in, but if one is not available, you will have to persevere on your own. Best of luck and don’t give up.

    Once you get an acceptance letter, you will have to apply for a study permit as Jubko mentioned. That’s a whole different process where Jubko and other members of the forum are much more knowledgeable than I am.

Viendo 4 entradas - de la 1 a la 4 (de un total de 4)
  • Debes estar registrado para responder a este debate.